JustLuxe: Welcome Back To Waikiki at the Modern Honolulu

The more I travel to Hawaii, the more I love it. Although I hadn't been to the islands much since I was a little kid, in the past year or so, I've gotten to visit Maui, the Big Island and now Oahu with a quick trip to Honolulu a few weeks ago.

I went to experience the Modern Honolulu, which you might better remember as the Edition Waikiki, a short-lived joint project from Ian Schrager and Marriott that, after some rather turbulent events in its opening months, is now humming along under new management.

Not only has the hotel injected a much-needed dose of casual cool to the otherwise touristy Waikiki, but it really is emblematic of some major changes going on in the area that include huge new projects, deluxe renovations to historic properties like the Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider, a spate of exciting restaurant openings, all-new luxury flagship stores along Kalakaua Avenue, and a renewed interest in Hawaii's rich history.

I personally got to visit the Iolani Palace, hike the hills east of the city, go outrigger canoeing and paddleboarding, take not one but two surfing lessons, and ate more seafood than I can remember.

For my next Hawaii trip, I'm looking forward to visiting Kauai, but for now, read about all there is to see and do in Waikiki and why I enjoyed my stay at the Modern in my JustLuxe piece.

Comments