Los Angeles Confidential Magazine: Abalone Dishes in LA

As a native Californian, one of the dishes that always intrigued me was abalone. It was forbidden to fish or serve on a menu when I was a kid, but lately I've been noticing it popping up on menus not just in LA, but all over the world on my travels.




There are abalone farms and foraging grounds here in California, but also in Hawaii, Japan and Australia, and this hearty mollusk is making a comeback in a big way.

So for this springtime LA Confidential article, I talked to chefs Michael Cimarusti of Providence and Josiah Citrin of Melisse about how they use this pelagic palate-pleaser on their menus.

For more on abalone's fascinating back-from-the-brink story and where you can taste it in LA, check out my article: Abalone Enjoys a Comeback in LA Eateries.

Comments